Northside Park is located at the intersection of Lexington Avenue N. and 3rd Street NE at 401 Lexington Ave. N.
New Prague Girl Scouts
Northside Park was originally part of the Vrtis Addition. Albert Vrtis, among the first group of Bohemian settlers who arrived in 1856, operated New Prague's first store from his log home on the present-day corner of Main Street and Columbus Avenue.
In the fall of 1969, the city purchased this 2.75 acre site from private owners for a park.
A portion of the present site was donated by Busch Construction. The park was first developed in 1975 in conjunction with adjacent residential development.
The park board used available funds to tear down the old house that stood on the property and to fill in the basement. Community volunteers cut and raked the grass, trimmed the trees and hauled nine truck-loads of dried grass, weeds, branches and debris away. New dirt was brought in and seeding began.
A landscape design was done by Bachman's, a Minneapolis nursery, and tree planting occurred as funds were available.
For a few years, firemen who resided in the neighborhood provided a winter skating rink. Residents frequently referred to this area as “the little park.” As a neighborhood park, it's purpose is the serve the adjacent residential areas. The New Prague Girl Scouts have adopted the park as a project.
In 2001 a new play complex was installed in addition to landscaping improvements. Other facilities include an open shelter area with restrooms, a ball field with a standard size softball infield, a tennis court/basketball court and a trail. Parking is only available on street adjacent to the park.